Saturday 6 October 2012

The last blog...maybe

We all managed to survive the 3 hour flight to Singapore where we revived ourselves with coffee and Dunkin' Donuts before making a mad dash to catch the midnight plane to Melbourne.

The question remains : how did Kate and Jan manage to get a lift in an electric car to our Gate (which of course was the furthest away!) when the rest of us had to do high speed walking to get there in time?

I was met by an airline official who informed me that the plane was full and my seat no longer existed, but I would have a seat. To which I replied "Does that mean I have to sit on someone's knee all of the way home??" He found this very funny and we finally sorted out that I did in fact have my own seat. Thank God!

So this is the last blog as we have now safely navigated our way through Myanmar and Vietnam and have returned home in one piece.

Firstly I am sorry about the lack of photos but I will insert lots over the next couple of weeks so it will be a complete blog soon. I have also updated a lot of the recent posts especially the Tips and Slogans ones so feel free to re-read them.

Secondly, if you know of anyone who is going to Myanmar and you think that the blog would be of use them, feel free to give them the blogspot address.

Thirdly, here is a list of all of the books I own about Myanmar. For those who travelled with me, if you're interested in reading any of them post the visit just let me know.

Burma: A Nation at the Crossroads (published June 2012): Benedict Rogers
To Myanmar with Love Edited by Morgan Edwardson
The Piano Tuner: Daniel Mason
Burma Chronicles:
Lonely Planet Myanmar (Burma)
Burmese Days: George Orwell
Finding George Orwell in Burma: Emma Larkin
Flame Tree: Keith Dahlberg

Fourthly, I will sort out a Photo book on Snapfish at some stage and will let you know when it is done. You can print a copy if you want a hard copy ( it's a very easy way of showing people where you've been) or you can modify my version with your own photos and get it printed, or you can just have a look at it online. I will email everyone and give you the logon details when I have finished it.

So that's it, except to thank all of my fellow travellers whose enthusiasm, resilience and humour made the trip truly memorable,


 
I particularly love this photo as it sums up the courage and the contentment of Mynamar for me.
 A young man sitting meditating in front of a huge golden buddha, many centuries old, wearing an Aung San Suu Kyi t-shirt.
 
 Honouring the old and hoping for the new.
 
May we never forget Myanmar.

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment